Mission is finding out what God is doing and joining in …Rowan Williams.
St. Edmund’s has several members who are actively involved in mission at home and abroad, particularly in India, Pakistan and Uganda. The mission group aims to raise awareness in St Edmund’s of mission overseas and locally. Through prayer, financial giving and special events they have focused on some of the organisations that the church supports, both regularly and in response to crises. There is a generous attitude within the congregation to responding to the many and varied needs.
Mission-focused events are a feature of the church’s programme. We aim for a quarterly evening when we focus on one of the organisations we support. These often include a shared meal and a presentation from a mission organisation which the church has links with, or from members of our church who have recently visited or worked with such a group.
St Edmund’s is committed to giving at least 10% of our general income from weekly offerings to support mission, and also to promote the development of people within the church in various forms of Christian service. This year we gave to the following organisations:
- Church Mission Society
- Chile for Christ
- Kalka Care Home, India
- Kunri Christian School, Pakistan
- Kunhar Christian Hospital, Pakistan
- Health training in India
- Mothers’ Union Emergency Fund
- Rukungiri Orphan Partnership, Uganda (Judy Cave)
- Embrace the Middle East
- Working with Syrian Christians
- Messy Church
- Open the Book
- Bishop’s Lent Appeal
- Faith in Families
- United Beach Missions (Carl & Sally Venn)
- Usk House, Brecon
- Crickhowell Dial-a-Ride
- Women’s Refuge, Brecon
- Brecon Street Pastors
- Children/Families work in Crickhowell
- Shelter Cymru at Christmas
- St David’s Hospice, Star Service at Christmas
- Tearfund Sunday at Harvest
- Christian Aid at Open Studios weekend in May
If you would like to get involved or simply find out more about the mission group, please contact one of the group members: Melloney Gold, Dilys Gower, Sarah Powell or Alison Stedman.